Between yesterday and today, I have helped create some new and improved versions of our previous pages after a little bit of accidental experimentation.
With Sam having left the college for until after the next reading week, and Jake not present for work sessions due to illness, only me, Rob (only for yesterdays session) and Emily have made progress with the new designs and layouts which we have come up with. When talking with the two of them, we each agreed that the presentation of our designs needed a makeover, as the previous prints were all surrounded with blank white space.
Hearing this, I began doing some rough experiments with shapes, using a select few greens that fit with our logo’s pallet. In doing so I unintentionally created a simple design that the other group members quite quickly pointed out. The design itself was just a light green diagonal shape over a darker background, but taking Emily’s advice, I added a white space within the center, giving us the room we wanted to add the images as well as the newly edited logo, which now says “Eco Pod”.
With enough room left on my illustration page, we decided that this would be the information sheet, with a simple and straightforward paragraph or two detailing the aim and function of the project. Emily and Rob had also done some alterations to the previous photography work, such as changing the word “sustainability” for the more fitting word “collaboration” using Photoshop, as it links more directly with our projects concept of different students working together to create their own education experience. Other edits included changing the “#” phrase above Robs newest photo to also say a more fitting line about the projects concept.
After inserting the photos onto separate documents (all sharing my new border design and the logo in the top right corner), Emily sent me the text which I placed within a shape made to curve around the image somewhat after taking some of her advice. Along with the main information, the text that Emily sent to me also contained a slogan for the project which quickly highlighted the project’s main links to education experience.
And with that the main designs were completed (as shown bellow).
However, to further improve the overall presentation for when our work is put on display within the common room, me and Emily, the only two members present for today’s meetup, have also created a banner/title piece to add somewhere onto our wall. The design was mostly inspired by many of the simplistic shapes I found during my previous research into poster design and follows as close as possible to the original color-scheme, with a large white slogan to match.
We believed that adding this banner would help add more of a question as to what our project may be about from an onlooker’s perspective, as it asks the viewer directly what they would see in their own education if they had the opportunity to design it themselves. I went through a few simple designs for typeface size, color and composition for highlighting the most important words (the images for which have for some reason disappeared) before choosing the one above, namely for how easy it is to read from a distance.
We made sure to draw attention towards the words “YOUR OWN” as the aim is ask the students what they want. The reason as to why the background design differs from the previous pages is due to me not feeling comfortable with how the main boarder designs appear on their own with the central image or white box hiding the overly simple appearance, as without them, it just looks like a line across the page. Both me and Emily agreed that this design is far more dynamic and eye-catching for just the text alone.
We also attempted some ideas for layouts, however until we know the placement of our displays, we cannot make any decisions.
Overall, I am very pleased with how these new designs have turned out, as they are for more suitable for the presentation due to the dynamic colors added around them, as well as the easy to read 1 information page design, which is far more inviting than the previous 3 information page layout, which could have led our viewers to lose interest with so much text.
I am also feeling very happy with what little time I have had with my team members, as working with others (who were present at least) gives me a sense of clarity that I cannot achieve on my own, as it means I can talk to them to gain understanding of my aims are as well as gain critical feedback on issues such as design choices. It did feel a little disappointing however when members would not arrive for work, as Sam (our leader) has left for the remainder of the project, while Jake has missed several crucial moments. Rob has been present in all but today’s session (as he appeared during the first half of this two-day post), but considering that only the printing of the banner was completed, he did not miss too much.