Environment – Acting on Feedback

With the helpful tips and advice given to me by the review from my classmates, I have begun experimenting with new prototype designs for the final product.

As the previous post on the the review itself mentioned, my classmates gave me several useful pieces of advice for which I could use within my new designs, all of which I have actually acted upon, as I want to create designs which fits the expectations of both my audience, as well as other designers (such as my classmates).

The first notable change I made was to use both versions of the prototype introduction spread pages (the tree and branch silhouette designs), as it was noted the the branched design could be used as an effective page design for second spread pages, where the bulk of writing will be placed.

Second, I removed the pink placeholder spaces on the first spread as I no longer wish to use the image idea on the tree anymore.

Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 14.39.00

Thirdly, I began filling in the spaces with the branch spread with the pen tool, so that the spaces were all filled in separately. This would allow me to go onto the following step.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 10.41.58

Using a trick I learned when doing the “Something Different” project, I dragged and drop my chosen images onto these filled in spaces, causing the photos to fit inside of the shapes and sit neatly between the branches of the silhouette. For the area in which I will place the text, I chose to use the photo I took of the trees looming above me, as I personally like the image (as well as my classmate) and I believe that the cluster of leaves to the right would serve as an excellent background for the type itself.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 10.22.40

Next I began placing placeholder text for the second spread, as I wanted to see how the current type I was using would looking the space of the image I had chosen.

However, after putting down the text over the image, I noticed that some parts where there were gaps within the leaves, the white text became somewhat difficult to read, as it blended in with the background. In order to stop this, I place a dark, translucent cover over the image to act as a sort of filter and darken the photo just enough so that the text is a little clearer for reading.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.48.55Despite this however, I now feel as though the bright and beautiful colours of the photo have been taken away from the piece because of this. So, I have made a second version of the filter which only covers the area where the text is, leaving the over half of the image untouched and colourful.

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.49.13

I believe that this newer version is an excellent improvement on the previous, as not does it bring back a good deal of brightness to the page, but the parts of the image where the dark and light meet appears almost seamless against each other, even to the point where it almost looks like the darkened area was part of the original area.


Overall, I am extremely happy with the current results of my work, as it is so far meeting the expectations that I had when first starting this project. If I had anything to pick on though as a flaw, it would be that the current quality for the images is not very good at the current time, and thus will need to be improved in time for the final product. Other than that, I have other complaints .

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 13.22.24

Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 13.18.41

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s